Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Do I think Yoga for Fertility Can Help You Get Pregnant?

I just read the article in the Globe and Mail on Yoga for Fertility in which I was interviewed. (link to article below) Although the article will increase awareness about fertility and how yoga can help, I am hung up on three words. When asked will yoga help you get pregnant "I say no." I would never say NO! Of course I believe it will help. For me yoga is a tool to help heal the mind and body. Women come in to class feeling defeated and desperate and leave feeling hopeful and calm. Yoga is an opportunity to spend time with SELF and begin to listen to your own inner guidance. It helps you make decisions from that place of knowing within yourself versus out of desperation or confusion. Yoga helps you to explore and create awareness about any physical or emotional blocks or limiting beliefs you have that may be interfering with your fertility.

I recently became aware of one of my limiting beliefs that was negatively impacting my fertility for the last 2 years. It is not because my yoga practice didn't work. It is because I had a subconscious belief that if I were to get pregnant that I wouldn't be able to support my fertility clients. Many of them have trouble being around pregnant women. How could I sit in a Yoga for Fertility class and support them with my growing belly? Through awareness and yoga I have been able to let go of that limiting belief and trust that if I should become pregnant the experiences that occur are the ones that my clients and I need to be present to.

As of Dec 31st I created a sacred space in my home to began my own personal yoga practice each morning. Although I have been practicing yoga for many years, I have committed to begin a one hour practice each morning at 6am. I have been doing it for 6 days now and it feels great. I start each day with yoga, meditation and self reflection. I am even using my own voice guided Yoga for Fertility audio classes and I love it. I finally get to experience my own yoga classes. I am also taking at least 5 minutes before bed to meditate or listen to inspiring music. I sleep better and feel more rested each morning. I have more clarity in my mind and feel grounded and calm. My moments of upset are few and don't last very long. Things that I would fret about for days I can resolve and find peace around within an hour and even in some cases a few minutes.

Can yoga help you get pregnant? I know that yoga can help you find meaning in your fertility journey. In finding meaning, you will find peace and in finding peace anything is possible.

(click here to read the article in the Globe and Mail)

No comments: