Monday, March 9, 2009

Need your perspective

I am hoping you could help me see another perspective on something that has been challenging me. I was asked recently by my Naturopathic Physician what I was willing to do to get pregnant. I immediately noticed some resistance to her question. As I explored my resistance deeper I could see Fear. On some level I am still afraid to get pregnant because part of me doubts that I can support my fertility clients if I am pregnant. I remember about 6 years ago when I had been trying to conceive for a least 1 year with no luck, a good friend of mine told me she was pregnant. I felt a deep surge of jealousy and my reponse was "get out!" and I pushed her - yes just like Elaine from Seinfeld. I felt ashamed that I responded that way and immediately gave her a hug and said congratulations. My response today is very different. I am genuinely celebrating with women when they share news of their pregnancy but I know many of my clients feel like I did 6 years ago when they hear about a pregnancy or birth. Some women have expressed that it is easier to celebrate with women who have struggled to become pregnant and that it gives them a sense of hope - a belief that it is possible for them too. While others have shared that no matter who it is, they don't like to see, hear or know about pregnancies. I help women see another perspective in those situations. The coach in me knows that if I were to get pregnant and continue to work with my fertility clients that the learning and lessons that would occur are exactly what each client would need. Still there is that fertility client in me that doubts and worries. I would love to hear your comments. How would you feel coming to a Yoga for Fertility class and seeing a pregnant instructor? Be honest!

3 comments:

Nicola said...

Hi Sue,
To be honest - it would be a shock at first to see a pregnant instructor. But then I think it would depend on how it was dealt with by the instructor. I think you would need to introduce yourself and explain briefly about your fertility journey. You should definitely talk about it or it will be an elephant in the room. I for one, always felt happy to hear fertility success stories.

Sue, with your tact and sensitivity, I'm sure you would turn this into a really positive thing.... which of course it is.

Take care - love your blog.
Nic
www.notchhilllearning.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue;
I think that you have amazing gifts to provide and a healing presence to bring to women on their fertility journeys; it seems clear that you are here to guide each of your clients to connect to their inner guide and to help process their own emotional experience. Although I have felt the times where it is hard to feel surrounded by pregnancy, while in the midst of trying, I believe that if you share your journey and focus on connecting/acknowledging where clients are at, than your own pregnancy would not be an issue. I also think that it is hopeful to see women successfully having babies, who have had some challenges along their fertility road.
Afterall, you are a woman on your own journey, just as we each are, and so I would hope that you would follow your own path and follow your own desires for pregnancy and having a baby if that is what you see ahead for yourself.
I believe that you can continue to support women on fertility journeys,
while pursuing your own!
Namaste,
Tracy

Sue Dumais said...

I want to thank everyone for sharing their perspective with me through posting comments, emails and in person. I know I will follow my own guidance and whatever happens will be the experience everyone including myself will need for their own healing. It was great to hear your insights. Through reading your honest personal insights and speaking about it with others, I experienced a deeper level of healing and I am most grateful. Thank you! Namaste, Sue