Monday, March 9, 2009

New puppies have arrived


My dog Brittany gave birth to 3 puppies on Saturday. I was her birth doula. I helped her deliver the first 2 pups which were quite large. The second one was breach and stuck. I had to help ease the puppy out. It took a while and I know it stressed the puppy. As I removed the placental sac I realized he wasn't breathing. I rub him with a towel to stimulate a response to breath. He would occassionally gasp for a breath of air. I begin to give him some breaths by doing mouth to nose (by the way, I used to work at a vet hospital). I felt his heart strengthen and he began to breath on his own. It was a very rewarding experience and I was grateful to have been an active witness to bringing new life into this world. My heart was filled with warmth and love.

This is the second litter that my dog has had in the last 3 years. It reminded me of how much time has passed that my husband and I have been open to conceive another child. So much has happened in our relationship and our fertility has really been at the core of everything. Well at least it is at the core of everything I do. I am surrounded by fertility - personally and professionally. It is such an incredible path. It has transformed me in ways I can't even begin to put words to. Amongst the days of heartache there are many more days of celebration. I am honoured to participate in the celebration of new life, it warms my heart and soul. It would be great if I could wave my magic wand and make all my clients pregnant but I know that is not for me to decide. I am here to help them discover their path toward parenthood, to encourage them to find meaning on their fertility journey and give them tools so they can live each day with a sense of peace. I am here to hold faith for them on the days when their faith and hope fades. To remind them that they can be a mother or a father and if they are willing to walk this path, I will remain by their side, reminding them to continue to follow their inner guide. When they begin to listen to the voice of their soul, their path becomes clear and miracles happen.

No comments: