Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Is it worth it? Are you worth it?

I remember in the beginning of my fertility journey being willing to try anything and everything that would help me get pregnant. I quit drinking alcohol, removed sugar/dairy and wheat from my diet, stopped intensive exercise, elevated my pelvis after intercourse etc etc etc. I was so desperate to conceive that I put my health first and started making changes in my life that previously I wouldn't consider or for years had found challenging. I was willing to do whatever I "had" to do to have a baby.

I was convinced that if I could get pregnant everything I was doing and everything I had to sacrifice would be worth it. I began to question at one point on my journey why I was so willing to make all these positive changes in my life for a baby but for years I wasn't willing to make those changes for me. I believe I cared more about having a baby than I cared about myself. I began to look at my relationship with Self.

Before wanting to conceive I tried years to quit drinking, get off sugar/carbs and reduce stress. I just couldn't do it. I would do well for a few weeks or months and then fall off track. I could see myself sabotaging my efforts over and over again. Why was I willing to do it to conceive a baby and not willing to do it for myself? The truth is at the time, I did not feel worthy. I didn't care enough about myself to change my health. I didn't like my body, in fact, on some deep level I didn't like ME!

Most of my life I hated myself and felt like I deserved to be punished so I would find ways to punish myself. It wasn't until 1993 that I began to get help and started to shift my relationship to Self. My fertility journey helped me realize that if I was willing to make all these positive changes for a baby, perhaps I was worth it too! I began to nurture my relationship to Self. I did many exercises in forgiveness of others and even more in forgiving myself.

Today I am kind, compassionate and loving toward Self. Everyday I intend to be my own best friend. While some days are more challenging than others, it gets easier everyday. My fertility journey has been about a journey to come home to Self and it has been a gift that I am deeply grateful. Every aspect, no matter how frustrating or painful, has been a gift! I share my insights with the world because I want others to realize, I want YOU to realize, YOU are worth it! Imagine learning to Mother and care for your Self before your baby arrives in your arms. Your child will learn from you self care and self worth, not by how you treat them but how you treat your Self. I invite you to become a living example of Self love.

I invite you to begin to Mother your Self and invite your baby into your heart. Surround them with the love you have for your Self and the love you have for them. It will be the most precious gift you could ever give your baby as well as your Self! Your baby is worth it! More importantly, You are worth it!

No comments: