Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What are you grateful for?


Gratitude is a feeling that can fill your heart and warm you from the inside out. I remember earlier in my fertility journey that it was very challenging to find anything to be grateful for. I was constantly focusing on what "wasn't working" to help me conceive. I was constantly questioning everything that I thought was "going wrong" and wondering if it was all my fault. It was difficult to find anything to be grateful for.

My fertility journey today is quite different. I know that if many of my clients as well as myself can get to this point where we can live and enjoy life through our fertility, you can too!

Gratitude is a powerful tool to transform negative self talk. When you practice gratitude you begin to see more things to be grateful for. At one point I was writing in a gratitude journal. Each night I would find 3 things I was grateful for that day and I would write them down. I would also invite the "feeling" of gratitude into my heart. Words don't mean anything until you invite the feeling and emotion behind them into your body. Some nights I would share with my husband which made me feel it even more.

Suddenly I began to feel a shift and was feeling deep gratitude throughout the day. One evening when I was driving home from the studio I saw the most beautiful moon. It was very low in the sky and it was the biggest most brightest moon I had ever seen. I was so deeply touched, it brought tears to my eyes. There were many night I would have dreams filled with gratitude. A simple exercise shifted so much in my life. Today I feel gratitude everyday.

I invite you to begin right now and find one thing you are grateful for in your fertility journey. I am deeply grateful for my husband's patience and love. Through the ups and downs and chaotic moments, he was always there for me. Even when he didn't understand I could always count on him.

What is one thing you are grateful for? Invite the feeling of gratitude into your heart. Allow yourself to feel it deeply!

Here is a poem I wrote several years ago on Gratitude.

Gratitude
By: Sue Dumais

I am grateful for my body and all that it can do.
I trust my inner wisdom and I am grateful for that to.

There is always more to learn each and every day.
I am open to deep listening and hearing all you say.

I am grateful for my breath and the rhythm it creates.
The more I stop and listen, the less I sit and wait.

There are teachers all around us if we are open to receive.
There are gifts in every moment if only we believe.

I am grateful for my life and all that it can bring.
I have found a voice for toning and with confidence I sing.

I have found a sense of freedom that came from deep inside.
I surrender to the stillness and no longer need to hide.

No comments: